Provincial Grand Lodge of Caithness

Page.6

 
The Province of Caithness

 

 

 

 

Provincial Grand Lodge of Caithness

The next Provincial Grand Master, Commissioned in 1942, was PM. Bro.Donald Harrold Harper, who was a builder in Wick. He was an initiate of St.Peter's Operative but an affiliate and Past Master of St.Fergus. Because of the war there was no formal installation. Just at the end of the war a fourth Lodge was added to the roll.
The petition for Latheron, signed by 28 brethren,was approved in October 1947. In the following month Grand Lodge issued the Charter and the Lodge was consecrated by the Grand Master Mason, Sir Charles Malcolm Barclay-Harvey,in May 1948.

Meanwhile,in November 1947, John George Munro, who had been Provincial Grand Secretary from 1927,had taken over the office of Provincial Grand Master. He was an initiate and Past Master of St.Peter's Operative, he had been the Province's Bi-centenary Steward in 1936 and was made an Honorary Grand Bible-bearer of Grand Lodge in 1944. The coming-of-age of the Provincial Grand Lodge was celebrated in 1948. The Rev.Dr.John McInnes took a Church service in St.Peter's Church,Thurso, and on 22nd October a dinner was held. Both events must have been successful as they have been imitated since that time.

At the end of 1948 and beginning of 1949 there was a dispute over the case of a Wick man who had been rejected by St.Fergus but who was later accepted by St.Duthus Lodge No.82 in Tain. St.Fergus and Provincial Grand Lodge thought that Tain had acted wrongly but Grand Lodge refused to intervene and after some negotiations with Provincial Grand Lodge of Ross & Cromarty the matter was dropped.

In 1949 the Rev.Dr.Lewis Cameron, Provincial Grand Master of Linlithgow-shire, Senior Grand Chaplain, Chairman of the Church of Scotland's Eventide Homes Committee, offered to take a masonic service in the county to raise funds for the home at Achvarasdal. The offer was accepted and £33 was collected at the service. In the next few months this was raised to a total of £85.

In October of the same year a deputation from Grand Lodge headed by the Substitute Grand Master, Dr.Douglas Llewellyn George Radford, consecrated the new lodge-room of Lodge John O'Groat.

John Munro's tenure of the Provincial Chair ended unhappily. It is intended to go into the matter fully but it has to be recorded that the Provincial Grand Secretary resigned, that the subject of his differences with the Provincial Grand Master came up several times thereafter and that, eventually.
John Munro resigned prematurely in the hope that it would settle the affair.

  

 

Language Translator

PGLC...Meetings

@@@... [Provincial Grand Lodge Of Caithness].. Next Meeting..Details to follow. ...@@@

Upcoming Events

No upcoming events

Please Sign Our Guestbook


 

Daughter Lodges

St.Peter's No.284
St.Fergus No.466
John O' Groat No.1333
Lodge Latheron No.1424



History Of..
St.John's No.45.    [1741-1838]
St.Fergus No.252. [1795-1834]
St.Peter's No.284.  [1818-1940]